Inflammation is your body’s natural reaction to an injury. If you injure yourself, say you twisted an ankle, it will swell. This is external inflammation. You can also experience inflammation internally. For example your arteries can become inflamed. Inflammation can be dangerous. If your arteries are inflamed and stay inflamed then you can suffer a heart attack. I have RSD. RSD causes me to have both internal and external inflammation without injury. It causes my pain levels to rise significantly.
There are many medications that help fight inflammation, but I can not just pop more pills all day everyday. It isn’t me and it isn’t good for your body if you choose it as an ongoing treatment. Most people will take an NSAID to reduce the swelling. Aspirin, Ibuprofen and Naproxen are all over the counter NSAID medications. NSAIDs can cause liver damage, especially with prolonged use. Thankfully there are ways to help fight inflammation naturally.
Five Ways to Fight Inflammation Naturally
- Omega threes. Omega three fatty acids help reduce inflammation in your body naturally. You can find omega threes in many whole grains, fish and nuts. However, most people don’t get enough omega threes in their diet. A simple solution is to take a fish oil or omega three supplement. Additionally, decrease the amount of saturated and trans fats you’re eating. These types of fats contribute to inflammation in your body.
- Decrease sugar content. Sugar is a prime source of inflammation. It causes free radical damage to your cells. This damage is an “injury” which causes inflammation. Take a look at how much sugar you consume and create a plan to cut back. You’ll notice a drastic difference.
- Turmeric. Turmeric is an herb. It’s commonly used in mustard and many curries. It’s a great natural inflammatory. If you don’t eat a lot of curry or mustard consider taking a Turmeric supplement.
- Exercise. Exercise actually helps your body reduce inflammation. It doesn’t have to be vigorous exercise, you could just walk for thirty minutes a day. Or try yoga!
- Sleep. Good sleep is imperative for good health. Studies have shown that people who do not get enough quality sleep suffer from inflammation. Take a look at your sleep habits. What can you do to improve them? Sleep is a huge issue for me. My pain keeps me awake, but my neurologist is trying to help me get more sleep.
There are other simple steps you can take to reduce inflammation naturally. Reduce alcohol intake. Stop smoking if you smoke (working on this again!). Lose weight (working on this too!). If you have an injury, like a sprained ankle, consider using Arnica Gel to treat it. Add green tea to your diet and cut back on saturated and trans fats.
Things I do
I take Curamin to help with inflammation. It does not take my pain away, but it does seem to help a bit with the inflammation. I am sure it would work much better for someone that did not have RSD. I also take an Omega-3 Fish Oil. I also exercise by skating with a Roller Derby Rec team. I do not do any of the contact drills, but the exercise has been very important to my health and keeping me out of a wheel chair. I am trying to discipline myself to do yoga on a regular basis. I like the DDPYOGA. I am also transitioning back to an 80% RAW diet.
Simple steps to fight inflammation naturally. Take a look at your habits (I do this all the time). How do they support inflammation? What can you do to change your lifestyle and fight inflammation naturally?
Latest posts by Girl on Fire (see all)
- Long-Lasting and Delicious Care Package Foods That Will Give Your Loved One the Biggest Smile - October 15, 2019
- Why Your Garage Needs LED Lights - October 15, 2019
- Keeping Customers Happy - October 12, 2019