Recently General Mills announced they were reducing sugar even more in cereals that were geared towards kids under 12. This new sugar reduction has it down to single digit grams of sugar per serving. That’s pretty awesome! I remember that the popular cereals were labeled as a treat type thing when I was a kid. Now these “treat” style cereals are healthier!
General Mills has already been reducing sugar in cereals while increasing important nutrients, such as calcium and vitamin D, and providing whole grain. I learned something new about cereal. I thought that cereal would be the less healthy option. I truly thought that a cooked breakfast would be the better option. What I learned though is that ready-to-eat cereal eaters consume less fat, less cholesterol and more fiber than non-cereal eaters. Maybe I need to eat more cereal…
Some other interesting facts I learned:
- Ready-to-eat cereals, including presweetened cereals, account for only 5% of sugar in children´s diets.
- Ready-to-eat cereal is the No. 1 source of whole grains in a child´s diet today.
- More frequent cereal eaters tend to have healthier body weights and lower Body Mass Index measures.
This is all extremely interesting to me because I always thought our cereal days were slacker days. I was wrong. Now I can feel better about cereal for breakfast! Anyone up for having some lazy mornings with me?
I hope reading this puts you at ease about cereal and your kids!
The information and some free cereal coupons (sent to me) were all provided by General Mills through MyBlogSpark. All opinions are my own, I was not paid and I share this because I think my readers would like the information I have provided…and cereal is good yo.
Latest posts by Girl on Fire (see all)
- Top Tips for Surviving College Application Season - August 8, 2022
- 5 Ways To Reduce Stress In Your Life - August 2, 2022
- 5 Confidence-Boosting Tips for Your Next Boudoir Session - July 12, 2022