Dollar Store Shopping Tips
Everyone loves to get something at a discount. I mean, who doesn’t love a good deal? However, one thing we all need to learn is how to discern if a deal really is the good bargain it seems to be.… A good deal has to actually be a good deal. Read on for Dollar Store shopping tips.
This post may contain affiliate links.
If you like to shop at a dollar store you might be making the mistake of assuming any item for a dollar is a good deal but that might not be true.
Here are a few tips to review before your next trip to the dollar store to make sure you are getting the real deals that are offered.
Make a List
How many times have you run into a dollar store to pick up a couple of items and $50 later, you come out, hands full, with stuff you never intended to buy. You need a list of items to buy so you can avoid mindless shopping and screwing up your entire budget on items you just don’t need!
What items should be on your list:
- Office supplies
- Art/School project supplies
- Books and coloring books
- Cleaning supplies
- Home Décor
- Party Décor
- Small Door Prizes
- Stocking Stuffers
- Hostess gifts (bath & body lotion and body wash)
- Beauty Products (shampoo, soap, hair accessories, hair spray, cotton swabs, and etc.)
- Batteries (they seem to last just as long as name brands)
What should NOT be on your list:
- Medicine, (from a financial perspective alone, 8 pills for $1 isn’t a good deal!)
- Plastic Wrap
- Paper products like paper plates, cups, toilet paper- quantity and quality issues make this a no deal.
Something else you should not have on your list is any item you have not priced out prior- for example, food. A can of vegetables seems like a great buy- it’s just a $1, right? But had you shopped at your grocery store, you could have gotten them for .50 cents or less on sale. It turns out that isn’t such a great deal after all. Any item that you have not calculated at a comparable price at another store should not be bought at the dollar store. Chances are you will be overpaying.
31 Days of Living Well and Spending Zero: Freeze Your Spending. Change Your Life.Living Well Spending Less: 12 Secrets of the Good Life31 Days to Radically Reduce Your Expenses: Less Stress. More Savings.
Something to remember; always check the quantity of any item you are buying. $1 for a product simply packaged smaller is not a good deal, even when it feels like it! Run the numbers before you shop!
What are your Dollar Store shopping tips?
Latest posts by Girl on Fire (see all)
- Celebrate National Salad Month with READ® Salad Days! - May 4, 2021
- Making My Space More Enjoyable and Less Stressful - May 2, 2021
- Top Surprising Benefits of Choosing an Invisible Window Screen - May 1, 2021