Carpal tunnel syndrome is one of the most common hand problems outside of arthritis. It can affect anyone, but most often occurs when someone has a job that requires them to perform repetitive motions. The most prominent sign of carpal tunnel syndrome is tingling or numbness in the hands. When this happens, it is often caused by a pinched nerve in the wrist. It is important to recognize the signs of carpal tunnel syndrome and understand how to receive relief from the treatment.
Signs of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Carpal tunnel syndrome typically starts out with mild symptoms that can progress in severity. Those who suffer from this condition can get help from Ottawa physiotherapy from Therapia.com. The following are some of the common symptoms associated with carpal tunnel syndrome. Those who experience any of these symptoms need to seek treatment from a physiotherapist right away.
· Numbness and tingling in the hands or fingers
· Pain in the hands, wrists, or forearms
· Weakness in the hands or wrists
Early treatment is essential for ensuring permanent nerve damage does not occur. With treatment, individuals can prevent the impingement of their nerves and receive relief from the annoying and painful symptoms carpal tunnel syndrome brings.
9 Habits Carpal Tunnel Sufferers Need to Stop Now
Unfortunately, some habits can lead to the development of carpal tunnel syndrome or a worsening of the symptoms. Those who have the following habits need to stop them right away so they can protect the normal function of their hands.
1. Those who perform repetitive tasks, such as playing the guitar or using hand tools, need to take frequent breaks. Repetitive motions, without taking breaks, can place too much pressure on the wrists, causing nerve impingement.
2. Those who have carpal tunnel syndrome should wear wrist splints to ensure their nerves do not become compressed. These splints keep the wrists in the proper ergonomic position.
3. Individuals sometimes have a bad habit of forcing movements or putting too much pressure on their wrists and hands. Lightening up their grips and movements can offer relief.
4. Those who flex their wrists too much need to mind their flexion. Keeping the wrists in a neutral position will be beneficial.
5. Going without gloves in the cold makes a person’s hand stiffer and weaker. Wearing gloves is important to keep the hands warm and blood flowing.
6. Individuals who suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome often forget to do their exercises. Hand and wrist exercises are essential for pain relief.
7. People often do not take medications for their pain. Ignoring the pain will not make it better. Over-the-counter medications and pain creams can help to lessen inflammation in the wrists and hands.
8. Those who are addicted to using their cellphones need to cut down on the habit. Cell Phone use is quickly becoming a major cause of carpal tunnel syndrome.
9. When someone types or uses a mouse without a gel pad, they could be putting their wrists in an awkward position that may lead to the development of carpal tunnel syndrome.
Treatment For Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Those who are facing the symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome need to seek physiotherapy right away. Physiotherapy for carpal tunnel syndrome involves a careful evaluation of the patient, to determine the extent of damage and the seriousness of the symptoms.
Physiotherapy offers treatments that can help improve the way the hands function, lessening the pain, numbness, and tingling individuals suffer from this condition. With treatment, many people can find relief without surgical intervention.
Carpal tunnel syndrome can sometimes become severe. It is imperative individuals seek treatment as soon as they begin noticing symptoms, so they can find relief.
Latest posts by Girl on Fire (see all)
- 7 Reasons to Fall in Love With Thrift and Charity Shopping - August 2, 2021
- All About Solar Cell Efficiency - July 26, 2021
- Three-Way Car Accidents: Who Can Be Held Liable? - July 14, 2021