Trying to find the best car insurance can be a trial. We all know the big car insurance brands: State Farm, Geico, Progressive, Allstate — but after browsing those sites, I’m never sure if I’m actually getting the best deals. So this time I used Clearsurance, and what I found totally caught me by surprise. All those household brands we all see advertised so often? They aren’t ranked very highly. Clearsurance, which is a website that collects reviews from people about their insurance company, uses the data it gathers to create unbiased rankings of car insurance companies, both by state and nationally for 2018. The detailed breakdown helps you compare companies and find coverage that’s actually the best deal for your location and driving history.
Once I got over my surprise, I decided to see what companies other consumers ranked as the best car insurance options in Texas and if my car insurer was rated highly by other consumers. I didn’t even recognize some of the companies that ranked ahead of the giants in car insurance, including my own insurer.
For instance, Amica Mutual, which offers a home ownership discount, was founded in 1907 and ranks as the third best company in all of Texas. Amica Mutual’s 4.46 rating out of 5 on Clearsurance is significantly higher than that of Progressive (4.16) and Allstate (4.1).
Take a look at what companies are ranked as the top 5 car insurers in Texas on Clearsurance:
- USAA — 4.69
- California Casualty Group — 4.47
- Amica Mutual Insurance Company — 4.46
- Ameriprise Auto & Home Insurance — 4.37
- Cincinnati Insurance Company — 4.34
These aren’t the names we typically associate with car insurance. So why are these brands so much better than the big companies we all know? Clearsurance has tons of great information to help you navigate your car insurance coverage, and one of the things I discovered is that companies like Geico and Allstate spend billions of dollars a year on advertisements to become the names we think of when it’s time to buy car insurance or consider switching car insurance. But those advertising dollars have come to from somewhere, and it ends up driving up the cost of our insurance premiums.
Why should we be paying more to insure our cars so that our insurer can solicit new business?
For the most part, the companies rated highly in Texas are lesser known than the big names. But the bottom line is, they’re better. These are the companies that other policyholders have found offer fair prices with good customer service and claims handling.
Still, we’re not all eligible for these top insurers, and we don’t all have the same insurance needs. That’s something else Clearsurance understands and helps you navigate. For example, USAA is the best car insurance company for Texans, but it only serves active and former military members and their families. And a company like Amica Mutual, where you can get discounts for insuring multiple cars or owning your own home, might not be a good option if you’re a fairly new driver. Plus, not all car insurance companies cover high-risk drivers, so if you have a lot of accidents on your record or a DUI, you may not be able to obtain coverage from one of these companies.
What are the best options for high-risk drivers in Texas?
I did some digging into the car insurance companies that sell in Texas and offer policies to high-risk drivers, often referred to as non-standard drivers. Using their ratings on Clearsurance, I ranked the top four companies for high-risk drivers:
- Safe Auto – With a rating of 3.91, Safe Auto doesn’t compare as well with the highest rated companies in Texas, but it tops the list among companies that cover high-risk drivers. The reviews talk about Safe Auto being among the cheapest options people could find, and consumers seem to have pretty good overall experience with the company after a claim.
- GAINSCO – GAINSCO has a rating of 3.84 and is another company worth considering for high-risk drivers. While the company has fewer reviews than Safe Auto, most seem to feel GAINSCO’s customer service is good for the price.
- The General – The most well-known among companies on this list, The General has a rating of 3.68. Consumers seem to believe The General offers cheap prices, but the low rates are reflected in the customer service and handling of claims.
- Infinity – Infinity has a rating of 3.53 but it is unique in that every page on its website is available in both English and Spanish, making it a good option for the Hispanic community. The insurer also offers a variety of discounts, including a multi-car discount, good student discount and a paid-in-full discount.
Finding the best car insurance for you or your family shouldn’t have to be completely mind-boggling. Once you step outside the buzz of all those big name brands, figuring out which companies actually offer the best customer service at the best price becomes a lot easier, especially if you’ve got Clearsurance on your team.
The post above is a sponsored guest post. I think it is relevant information for my readers and I was compensated for its placement.
Latest posts by Girl on Fire (see all)
- 7 Reasons to Fall in Love With Thrift and Charity Shopping - August 2, 2021
- All About Solar Cell Efficiency - July 26, 2021
- Three-Way Car Accidents: Who Can Be Held Liable? - July 14, 2021