Marvel’s The Avengers is almost here! Are your kids excited? Well they don’t have to wait much longer! May 4th is fast approaching! To celebrate Hero’s we made some awesome Lemon Sugar Cookies, Avenger style!
These are not a traditional cookie cutter…at least not in the sense I think of a cookie cutter. It cuts and presses the design into the cookie, this makes them look cool without even decorating. It also makes it easier to decorate because you have a guide for how it is supposed to look.
As usual, Morgan was in charge of the baking! She chose to make a Lemon Sugar Cookie, yum!
- 1 cup (1/2 lb.) butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- In a bowl, with an electric mixer on high speed, beat butter and sugar until smooth and light. Beat in eggs, lemon peel, lemon juice, milk, and vanilla until well blended, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary.
- In another bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir or beat into butter mixture until blended. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill until firm, at least 2 hours, or up to 3 days.
- Unwrap dough and place on a lightly floured surface. Roll dough out, a portion at a time, to about ⅜ inch thick. Cut with a 3- or 4-inch round cutter and place cookies slightly apart on buttered or cooking parchment-lined 12- by 15-inch baking sheets.
- Bake cookies in a 350° oven until edges are golden, 10 to 14 minutes; if baking more than one pan at a time, switch pan positions halfway through baking. With a wide spatula, transfer cookies to wire racks to cool completely.
- Powdered sugar icing. Controlling consistency of icing is simple. If it's too thick, add a few drops of water; if it's too thin, gradually add more powdered sugar. To tint, add food coloring a few drops at a time.
- For spreading: In a bowl, stir 3 cups powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and ¼ cup water until smooth. Tint with food coloring as desired. Spread icing onto cool cookies with a metal spatula. Let stand until icing is firm, about 1½ hours. Makes about 1 cup.
- For piping: In a bowl, stir 2 cups powdered sugar, ½ teaspoon vanilla, and 1½ tablespoons water until smooth. Tint with food coloring as desired. Spoon into a pastry bag fitted with a ⅛-inch tip or a heavy 1-quart zip-lock plastic bag. Seal plastic bag and squeeze icing into a corner; cut a tiny opening at corner of bag to squeeze icing out. Let cookies stand until icing is firm, about 5 minutes. Makes about ¾ cup.
After you have chilled the dough, you can roll it out and begin using the cookie cutters to bring your Avengers to life!
Once they have cooled you can begin decorating. You can download this free Marvel Hero’s decorating guide. Check out our Incredible Hulk! Decorating was not as easy as I would have liked, thankfully Morgan can pull this stuff off better than I! She did a great job making them…
…and the rest of us did a great job of eating them…
The products above were sent as part of my participation in the Avengers Event. No compensation was received and all opinions are my own.
Latest posts by Girl on Fire (see all)
- Benefits of Dual Diagnosis Treatment - January 25, 2023
- How to Help Family With Mental Health Issues? - January 3, 2023
- A Perfect Cup of Coffee Every Time – The Mr. Coffee One-Touch Coffeehouse+ Is A Perfect Christmas Gift! - December 20, 2022