Being a mom at home can feel like a full-time job in and of itself. But sadly, it can be difficult to pay the bills in hugs and kisses. Even if you’re a working parent, you may not be bringing home as big of a paycheck, once you’ve taken into account childcare costs or working fewer hours to be home on time. So it isn’t uncommon for moms to look for some side hustles / job that they can do on the side to supplement or boost their income. It can be a good way to have a ‘hobby’ too or a different way to spend your free time when the kids are at school or napping as well.
So here are some totally doable side hustles for moms, to help bring home some extra cash or channel your entrepreneurial spirit.
While you are already handling your own children, how about adding a few more into the mix? It could be that you have young ones and wouldn’t mind running a childminding business from your own home, or that you could pick up some children from school and have them at your home until their parents get home. You could even just register on babysitting sites for your local area. These things come with a certain level of ‘red tape’ to make sure you’ve got somewhere safe for the children. But it can be an easy way to get an income, without having to change your normal routine or lifestyle all that much.
If you have ever been to a children’s party, you will see that there can be a lot of money spent on children’s parties. And if parents are busy enough already, there are quite a few that would happily have someone else take care of it all. Think about advertising locally if party planning is something that you have a passion for, as well as speaking to friends and family to get the word out there. It doesn’t have to simply be children’s parties, though. It could extend to weddings and other events too. It is a great way to work with your children, earn money, and hone your creative skills at the same time.
Using your spare time to tutor someone, both children, teens, and adults alike can be a good way to get some extra money, as well as keep your brain active. Whatever skills and experience you had before you became a mom, you can use that to help others. It could be hosting tutoring sessions in your home, it could be via Skype, or it could be that you release a set of videos on a certain topic (like crafting, cake decorating, or cooking, for example), and sell them online. Whatever works for you.
Use Your Home
There are several ways that you can use your home to bring in an extra income. It will depend on what suits you and the size and style of your home. But here are a few ideas:
- If you have a spare bedroom or can create one by using your basement, for example, then you can get help towards the mortgage by putting up that room for rent. There are always people looking for cheaper accommodation, so it can work for both of you. Just make sure that you do the necessary checks and getting references from any would-be tenants.
- If you have a yard or a car, then you can use that space for advertising. It could be a simple as being paid to put a sticker on your car, or having a sign up in the yard. While the money isn’t going to life-changing, it is something for basically doing nothing.
- If you get in contact with studios, photographers, and film crews, you can get put on a list of places that they can hire out to shoot and film at. While it won’t be weekly, you can charge a pretty significant amount for the times that they do call you up to film in your home.
Speaking of photography, there is always a demand for people to have some Instagram-worthy snaps. And you may have honed your skills when snapping away taking pictures of your own family. Pregnancy and newborn photography can always be a good way to go, as well as selling your lifestyle or food photography online. You could even start up your own Instagram feed to showcase your work and get your name out there. It won’t be instant but can be a fun way to earn some money eventually.
While this kind of business that you run from home isn’t going to be for everyone, there are many people that can and do make direct sales (or network marketing) businesses work for them. If you are already at home with the kids, it can be something that you can plug in your downtime, and use things like social media to do so. If you’ve got a good network of people, then it can be a good idea to talk to them at the school gates or at the baby classes you go to, and it can be a social thing as well as a way to earn money. Do your research though to make sure that it is a good fit for you, and you know what is involved.
Use Your Previous Experience
Whatever you worked in before having children can still be something you do after having children. While it all won’t be possible to do from home, some things really will be. If you worked as a personal trainer before, then could you work in a few clients on evenings for example? If you worked as an accountant, could you take on clients freelance? The same goes for things like web design or marketing. We moms have many skills and using what we have done in our career before children can still be used after. We just have to get a little creative!
Latest posts by Girl on Fire (see all)
- Finding The Best Car Insurance in Texas Is Full of Surprises… - August 13, 2018
- Clean Sweep: How to Get Rid of All the Pests That Invade Your Home - August 9, 2018
- Earn Free Gift Cards during the Back to School Team Challenge – US - August 6, 2018