Image thanks to sellhousefast
A small space doesn’t need to look cramped, with some clever tweaks even a box room can look light, spacious and inviting. Here are some spacious tips to add square feet to your home.
- Keep it light and clean; a neutral color palette helps any room to look more fresh and airy. That feeling of air and light instantly adds space. White can be stark so choose pastel colors such as lavender and magnolia to add warmth to the room. Maintain that airy feeling by pairing furniture that is either made from a light wood such as pine or is painted in complementary pastel tones – something you could even try for yourself. Then keep the room free of clutter to ensure the natural light has nothing to get stuck on and drown the room in darkness.
- Reflect its glory; mirrors are a great way of expanding your room as your eye seems to be drawn outside of its four walls. You can add mirrors to any surface including cabinets, tables, and even the ceiling to give it that grand ballroom feeling. You can get mirrors in all shapes, sizes, and designs so it pays to shop around. Check this out for more ideas.
- Go natural underfoot; carpets suck light and sound from a room. Swap it for a beautiful natural hardwood floor and you will have a clean, smooth stunning looking floor as well as seeming to add inches. Laying a wooden floor is a little fiddly at first but such a satisfying project to undertake and you can easily source all of your hardwood flooring supplies online along with expert advice and tips so you can achieve a professional finish.
- Make it multifunctional; minimalism is key when it comes to furniture in a small room but that doesn’t mean you can’t make the room functional or comfortable. Clever, multifunctional furniture choices will allow you to minimize the number of pieces whilst maximizing their use. If it’s a bedroom why not try a bed that folds away or doubles up as a seating area. If feasible you can even fix a bed about floor level so that you can exploit the space underneath. Choose tables with storage hidden underneath and inside and mount storage on walls to maximize space as well as show off your beautiful new hardwood floor. In fact, the possibilities are as endless as your imagination so mix it up and see how clever you can be with your space.
- Make it pop; so we’ve discussed neutral color palettes and natural finishes for a roomier feel but to contradict that try adding a vibrant color feature to make the room pop and draw the eye away from the size of the room. If you want to add a feature color directly to the walls how about choosing the ceiling instead? This can instantly lengthen a room but be sure to avoid light-sapping colors such as deep purples and reds.
- Dare to go bare; once you have created your ultimate space defying room why hide it away. Curtains and drapes not only restrict the light that you have tried so hard to entice in they also hide windows. Windows invite the outside in, expanding the possibilities of your room so don’t hide it away – if you can make it work why not dare to go bare?
Latest posts by Girl on Fire (see all)
- Swago: Shopping Edition Is Back! - October 20, 2017
- The Student Guide to Moving to University - October 19, 2017
- 4 Stressful Situations that all Moms Face and Tips for Taking Control - October 19, 2017