9 Things You Should Know About Moving
When it comes to moving house, we all know how stressful it can be. You’ve got to make sure everything is packed away and organized, and ensure that you’ve got the removal company booked to take care of it all. Then you’ve got to sort out filling the new house up. Before you start to panic, help is at hand with this handy checklist to help you on your way.
- Make a priority planning list. Make sure the things you’ll need as soon as you move in are easily accessible.
- Keep your essentials to hand. It will also be useful to have a box where you have toilet paper, coffee, tea and snacks for that first night. You won’t want to unpack everything right away, and it will make the first night much less stressful.
- Make sure you’re covered. Before you start packing things up, make sure your contents insurance covers any damage or breakages that happen during the move. Make sure that the boxes you use are sturdy and will stack easily to help prevent any mishaps.
- Consider donating to charity. If there are some things you don’t want coming to the new house, then box them up and send them to a local charity shop. This could be old clothes, furniture, books, etc. Sometimes a house move can be a great way to have a new start.
- Enlist the help of your children. Children love helping their parents, so consider getting them to help with the easier items. They’ll have lots of fun wrapping things in bubble wrap and fitting them into boxes. It’s, even more, fun when they’re packing things from their room as they can start to make the move a reality in their minds.
- Find a reliable removal company. Whether you’re hiring a removal company to move everything, or just for the bigger items, you’ll want to sort this well in advance. Get some recommendations from friends and family and make sure they have the right level of cover should anything get damaged. Couriers like Shiply can move heavier, bulkier items that you can’t move yourself. Or you could look at a removal company to take some of the stress out of it.
- Keep important documents separate. Birth certificates and marriage certificates etc. should be kept away from everything else so they can’t be lost. Putting them in a folder and keeping it with you on moving day will help keep them safe.
- Label all boxes. It helps to keep the boxes from each room together. By putting labels on them, you’ll know what’s in each box. You could also number them and take photos, so you know what’s in which box. It all helps when it comes to unpacking and makes it easier.
- Don’t rush it. It can be tempting to want to unpack right away. However, once you are in your new home, there is plenty of time to unpack everything. That way you ensure things don’t get lost or broken, and you can also save cluttering your home up.
Latest posts by Girl on Fire (see all)
- Finding The Best Car Insurance in Texas Is Full of Surprises… - August 13, 2018
- Clean Sweep: How to Get Rid of All the Pests That Invade Your Home - August 9, 2018
- Earn Free Gift Cards during the Back to School Team Challenge – US - August 6, 2018