On December 16th in Grapevine, Texas I attended an amazing event! I had been invited last year but was unable to make it.
Armed with lists the Off the Field members took over Sam’s Club, decked out in red Salvation Army aprons and shopping carts…a lot of shopping carts.
So what is Dream Drive?
Dream Drive works with The Salvation Army’s Adopt-a-Family program. They choose 10 families within 10 different cities to benefit from the program. Each family will have $800 spent on gifts for them and then they also will each receive a $200 Sam’s Club gift card to spend on other holiday needs. The city locations for the events were San Francisco, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Chicago, Dallas, Detroit, Kansas City, Cincinnati and Phoenix. The Dallas event was held at the Sam’s Club in Grapevine and this is where I attended.
I’m thinking I was at one of the largest events because the amount of people there blew me away! I was expecting maybe 3 wives tops. Just check out this list of who was in attendence!
- Kimberly Alexander, wife of deceased player Eli Alexander
- Rachel Baxter, wife of Texas A&M coach Randy Jordan
- Katrina Briggs, wife of Chris Briggs
- April Crockett, wife of Super Bowl champion Ray Crockett
- Miesha Jones, wife of retired player Freddie Jones
- Charessa Kennedy, wife of free agent Kenoy Kennedy
- Kim Mathis, wife of former Cowboy Kevin Mathis
- Erin McBriar, wife of Cowboys’ Matt McBriar
- Tasha Rivers, wife of free agent Marcellus Rivers
- Michelle Witten, wife of Cowboys’ Jason Witten
- Shelby McQueen Wyman, wife of Utah Blaze’s Devin Wyman
- Amanda Davis, wife of Leonard Davis (#70)
- Tamra Goins
- Charressa Kennedy
- Sharee Reed
- Melani Ismail
- Brittany Digrenet
- Sherice Brown
- Sheila Stoutmire
- Yolanda Banks
- Anabela Williams
- Dawn Neufeld
- Sheila Stoutmire
I followed the wives around as they shopped. I have to be honest, I kind of expected them to just start grabbing things and throwing them in carts so they could be done. I was wrong! These ladies totally cared about what they were doing. They took so much time making sure they were picking the perfect gifts! They also watched prices so they could get more stuff that the family wanted. I think some of them would have even added their own money to it if they could have.
It was truly a heart warming experience. I met up with one of the organizers from Off The Field. She was tweeting up a storm and I talked to her a little and found out that this was their 3rd event at this location and that there was another event in Garland. This event was the 4th one in the area. She was a super awesome person as were all the other ladies.
After some major shopping, the ladies went to the wrapping station and wrapped each and every present. Later the trucks from The Salvation Army would come and pick up all the items for distribution amongst the families.
Sam’s Club is the eighth largest retailer in the U.S. and is a division of Wal-Mart Stores, Inc (NYSE: WMT). It offers exceptional values on merchandise serving more than 47 million members. Saving is made simple with Sam’s Club and on average its members save 30.4 percent on items for home or business over grocery and specialty retailers. Visit samsclub.com for more information.
Off the Field strives to use a network of influential women to enrich the lives of others. The organization is dedicated to raising funds and creating awareness for local and national charitable organizations that strengthen families.
The Salvation Army, a human services organization operating in 121 countries, provides assistance to more than 30 million people each year in the United States alone. 82 cents of every dollar The Salvation Army spends is used to support a broad array of social services in 5,000 communities nationwide. For more information, go to salvationarmydfw.org.
This is such a great thing and I was happy there to see the giving that happened that day. I look forward to attending again next year.
To spread that giving feeling, we are hosting a giveaway for Sam’s Club!
One Not So Average Mama reader will win a LeapFrog® Counting Candles Birthday Cake Toy! This prize is provided by Sam’s Club.
Main Entry: Tell me how you help others in need, leave a comment below letting me know.
Bonus Entries: You must complete the main entry before doing any of the bonus entries. Leave a separate comment for each entry.
- Follow me on Twitter @stitchblade
- Tweet about this giveaway: “@stitchblade #samsclub LeapFrog® Counting Candles Birthday Cake Giveaway! http://bit.ly/gpqHrc” Leave a comment with the tweet status URL, you may do this up to 3 times per day. Be sure to leave a comment for each tweet.
- Become a fan of Not So Average Mama on Facebook.
- Become a fan of My Frugal Home on Facebook.
- Post about this giveaway on Facebook, please leave a comment with the URL to where you posted.
- Follow me on Facebook Networked blogs located in my sidebar.
This giveaway will end on December 28th, 2010!
I was compensated for my participation in the Sam’s Club Dream Drive Event Campaign. All opinions are my own.
Latest posts by Girl on Fire (see all)
- Key Ideas For Keeping Your Home Warm This Winter – Without Spending A Fortune - August 18, 2016
- 4 Family-Friendly Attractions in Townsville - August 17, 2016
- Travelling the World with Tots in Tow: Priceless Lessons From Seasoned Parents - August 9, 2016